RSS

Saturday, July 11, 2009

No Luck Yet

Hmm, well on Saturday I gave the other firing time a try. I knew as soon as I pulled the pieces out and held them that they were not sintered; they were so weightless. I did some dissecting on them anyways, and I do have a few theories. My first possible theory is that they were not dry enough before I fired them. I usually use a hot plate or a hair dryer to dry my metal clay pieces, but I did not use any heat source and I just let them dry over time. Even though they seemed dry.

I feel like I'm back in grade school, doing science labs with this stuff, lol! 'Measure, record, record, record....'








Although they did not turn out right, I wanted to show you guys the colors that did appear! You can see some of the problems with the pendants in the pictures...look at how much the floral one in the middle of the top picture had warped in shape. Oh and hey in the corner of the last photo you can see some of the unsintered 'dust' that fell out of some of the pieces. Oh well, back to the firing board! :P

Today I am cleaning my desk area, it's such a wreck. I know there's a desk under it somewhere!

2 comments:

Lorena Angulo said...

Are you using activated coal or coconut coal?
Copprclay will not sinter if you use activated coal.

Kelly York said...

Hi Lorena! I've been using the coconut coal for firing. What has worked for you so far, with firing? I love your work by the way!